Sunday 19 June 2011

The First Place I Disagreed With. Brighton 7/501

Combining all this travelling with going to gigs seemed like the perfect idea. Two of my favourite things all rolled into one, and all I needed to do was find a willing participant (victim) to come along with me. Good times guaranteed! How wrong I was.

Even before we got there I was pretty hacked of with Brighton. Organising some where to stay turned into a nightmare, and I am now completely convinced that absolutely no one in the city answers their phone. This ill ease was only fuelled by the abysmal weather this weekend.



Three Things to keep in mind if travelling to Brighton.

  1. Do NOT drive. It cost more to park then to stay in a Hotel
  2. Do NOT stay at the Grape Vine Hostel 
  3. Only Go if it Sunshine is promised
When we got to the (ridiculously expensive) hostel we found that there was only one bed available in our room, as the other occupants had decided to use the other one as storage. They promised that it would be sorted by the time we got back. They lied, I was woken at 2am by an 40+ German man asking why I was in his bed. Compared to other hostels I have stayed in I am amazed that this one can charge what they do. It was the most expensive one I have ever stayed in, and also the worst.

The Best Bit of the City. 

The city itself wasn't to bad, I just don't understand what made it 'must see'. It is not unlike Wolverhampton. Nice shops, an Oceanas, a smattering of kitsch and quirky outlets (Alice dreams) and some decent pubs. Plus  a pier. In the rain there really wasn't much to do. We have the same shops at home. It was a little early to be drinking. And there was nothing to do on the Pier except walk up and down it. So we did what all intrepid explorers do: holed ourselves up in Nandos.

The place is far to expensive, I have spent far less on a week in London than a weekend there. It has a decent night life, but nothing that looked out of this world and, like every other place by the sea, it suffers a lot when it is wet. 



I am so glad that we went in order to go see We Are Scientists. If we had gone with no other purpose than to look round, it would have been awful. As always WAS were up to their usual musical comedic ways and we had a really good night dancing around. We were also really impressed by the support Tall Ships (more on this later). 

It would be nice to see what the place is like when it is sunny, but it won't be on the top of any list of future holiday destinations. Unless I am given a very good reason (AKA a Counting Crows gig).

No comments:

Post a Comment