Tuesday 19 April 2011

501 cities & Bangor


About 3 years ago on one of my infamous stationary buying binges I was allured into buying one of those huge travel books. It is 501 must see cities. I have flicked through it hundreds of times thinking up amazing holidays and road trips, but I have now taken it upon myself to actually see if I can complete it. This is a ridiculous challenge, and I doubt very much that I will finish it in a life time, but I thought I would give it a whirl and see what i could actually achieve. Rather pathetically I have only been to 12 out of the 501 cities, so I have a very long way to go.



Bangor & Snowden

For reasons unbeknown to me Bangor is one of the cities it recommends -(Only 3 cities are mentioned for Wales. Bangor, Cardiff & St Davids - but NOT Swansea!). So taking advantage of being in Wales and all the girls having the day off work, we went on lil journey to go see Becky up in Conwy. 

That bit of the world is absolutely beautiful. We wandered along the pier in Bangor, I tried to convince Jeannie to jump in the sea so that Prince William would come and save us but it didn't work. I was surprised at how small Bangor was, but it does have some very pretty and old buildings. After Lunch Becky took us over to Anglesey. We went up a viewing column that had stunning views of Mount Snowden and the national park around it. Lizzy and I could have stayed up there for ages, but stupidly both Becky and Jeannie dislike circular staircases, so the trip both up and down was rather stressful.... I think it was worth it and we all survived in one piece, but I don't know if everyone would agree.
Since we only had one day up there we tried to fit in as much as we humanely could. We went to the longest place name in Wales (is it in the world I can't remember) Becky did teach us how to say it properly in Welsh but I have completely forgotten now. Then we headed back over the bridge and went for a wander around the foothills of Snowden. We all made vague claims that one day we would all climb it together, but nothing has been said since, and we didn't set ourselves a time scale or anything....... one day...... I'm sure.....

Once the sun had set we headed back to Conwy to explore the castle and head to the pub. I LOVE castles, don't really know why but where ever I go I find one out to explore - (maybe that could be another challenge visiting all the Castles in the UK). It was especially magical as we were there at night and it was all lit up.

As always, road trips with my girls are some of the happiest times I've had this year. And this one was extra special as I hadn't seen Becky in almost forever. And any excuse to go back to Wales.

So that's 1 down. 500 to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment